New Albany Indiana sits on the banks of the Ohio River. It was established in July of 1813 by 3 brothers Joel, Abner and Nathaniel Scribner. The home of Joel and Mary Scribner was built in 1814 and still stands today.
Floyd County Indiana was established 10 years later in 1824 when the city of New Albany became the county seat. New Albany grew rapidly and from 1816 to 1860 during that time it was the largest town in Indiana. In the early days the steamboat industry fueled the economy with a dozen ship builders in the community. By 1853 New Albany distinguished it’s history by building the first public high school in the state of Indiana. New Albany High School originally set on the corner of West First Street and Spring Street. Ashbel P. Willard, governor of the state of Indiana and a native of New Albany, dedicated the Floyd County Fairgrounds in 1859. Then Floyd County had the honor to host the Indiana State Fair.
Over the decades New Albany Indiana changed with the a rich Civil War history when in 1862 Abraham Lincoln established one of seven national cemetaries in New Albany Indiana
Plus the historic Second Baptist Church was used as a stop for the underground railroad. the economy took many changes in late 1800’s starting with the steamboat industry to American Plate Glass Works opening in in 1865. As one industry left New Albany another came around and in 1920 New Albany was the largest producers of plywood and veneer in the world.
Tragedy struck New Albany and the region in January of 1937 when to Ohio River rose 60.8 feet and left New Albany under 10 feet or more of water for about 3 weeks. The city responded after the flood, New Albany was the first city in the region to begin construction on massive flood walls around the city. New Albany’s flood walls served as examples for those constructed around Louisville and Clark County.
In 1961 interstate 64 was built through New Albany which led to the building of the Sherman Minton bridge and the cost of 14.8 million. The bridge was named after U.S. Senator Sherman Minton who later became a Supreme Court Justice.
As of the 2010 cencus the city has approximately 36,000 residents and 15,500 housholds.